Last weekend, The JohnnyCakes and I went outlet mall shopping. And he made the mistake of letting me go into the Le Creuset store…
And after some heavy wheeling, dealing, and discounting, I left the store with THIS:
So for my inaugural dish in this puppy, I knew I had to do something extra super special and yumtastically tasty!
So, what could I cook that required a huge pan and was a huge pain in the butt to make…???
Arroz Con Pollo!
Here are the ingredients:
- 1- 3 1/2-4 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or 3 1/2 lbs chicken parts of your choosing)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. (Yes, mine is in a packet from a pizza place. What, you don’t collect these too? Why not?)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cup dry white wine*
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth*
- 3/4 tsp crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
*The liquid in this dish should total 3 cups. So you can use 3 cups chicken broth, or alter the quantities of wine and broth to total 3 cups. One recipe I saw even used beer for the liquid part! So the choice is yours…
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Rinse your chicken really, really well.
- If necessary, cut up your whole chicken into 8 pieces…. Oh, you don’t know how? Well here’s a video just for you!
Now, wasn’t that easy?
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan, and add the chicken.
- Cook the chicken until it is golden brown on all sides, about 6-8 minutes total.
- When the chicken is browned to your liking, transfer it to a plate for later.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and wine. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Add saffron and rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth, white pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and oregano and bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pan.
- Cover the pan, put in the oven, and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove from the oven, and stir in the tomatoes, olives, and frozen peas. (My olives were left whole. BIG mistake. If you chop them up a bit, the flavor will be more subtle in the dish and not quite so, um…shocking? when you eat them.)
- After stirring in those ingredients, return the pan to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes. (If you take out the pan and the liquid has already been absorbed, you can add another 1/2 cup or so of liquid if you want.)
- After 15 minutes, you should get something like THIS: