Yes, it’s that vegan thing again… *sigh*…. But boy howdy is this good!
This is loosely stolen from La Dolce Vegan!, by Sarah Kramer. Get the book. It rules.
…Also loosely stolen from Very Vegetarian by Jannequin Bennett. I’m all about combining recipes, y’all…
4 c water
1 t minced garlic
1/2 med onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 t grated ginger
1/2 c shredded or julienned carrots
1 c thinly sliced shiitake or button mushrooms
1/2 sheet nori (seaweed), cut or torn into small pieces
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 T tamari or soy sauce
1 pkg udon noodles
1 block firm or extra firm tofu, cubed
3-4 T peanut or canola oil for frying
4 T miso
1 T water
Eden Shake or gomashio
- Heat up frying pan over med-hi heat. Add oil. Fry tofu, turning once in a while, until all sides are browned. Drain/put aside for later…
- In a medium soup pot on high heat, bring water to a boil. Add the seaweed and tamari/soy. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. (Or if you have some dashi prepared and you aren’t vegan, then use that.)
- Add garlic, onion, ginger, carrot, and mushrooms. Simmer until the carrots are barely tender, about 5-10 min.
- Add the green onions and veggies. Simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together miso and 1 cup of the hot soup stock as prepared above. Stir until miso is smooth.
- Add the miso and tofu to the soup stock.
- 7. While the soup is cooking, make the udon noodles as per the directions on the package.
8. Once done, add noodles to a big soup bowl, then ladle soup over noodles. Garnish with gomashio or Eden Shake, and enjoy!