So I was checking out some of the cooking websites the other day, and I got inspired to make Shepherd’s Pie. This is a combination of at least three recipes, so don’t ask me where any of this came from. Your basic elements for a shepherd’s pie are: 1 lb meat, 4 cups veggies, a cup of liquid (including gravy), and 2 cups of mashed potatoes for the crust. After that, you can pretty much make it your own. And I did!
On to the recipe…
- 2 cups potatoes (can use instant, but this should be about 2-4 potatoes), roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1-2 sprigs fresh, or 1 tsp dried rosemary (If using fresh rosemary, chop it up finely.)
- ½ cup milk, ¾ cup sour cream, or 4 oz (light) cream cheese
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb ground meat of your choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups frozen mixed veggies
- ¾ cup beef or chicken broth OR 1 cup beef gravy
- 2 Tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme (de-stemmed), or 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Paprika for sprinkling
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: sliced mushrooms
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup red or white wine
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, sauté 2 cloves garlic and 1-2 chopped sprigfuls of rosemary in butter.
- Drain potatoes. Add dairy products of your choice and butter mixture.
- Mash the potatoes, and set aside.
- Brown meat, 1-2 cloves garlic, and onions. Drain meat.
- Add veggies and cook until they are thawed.
- If you are using wine, add wine and reduce for a few minutes.
- Add broth or beef gravy.
- Add the rest of the herbs and spices, along with the ketchup/tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into a casserole dish. Cover with potatoes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Add cheese to the top of the casserole, sprinkle with paprika, and bake for 2-5 minutes more (or until the cheese melts.)
Makes 6-8 servings