This morning, the Johnnycakes requested another vegan breakfast. And since I was in a rather accomodating mood, I obliged… Therefore, I now bring you…
Vegan Breakfast Number 2!
INGREDIENTS (serves 2):
- 4 frozen hemp waffles
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 1-2 peaches, chopped roughly
- 1 handful pitted bing cherries
- 1 handful blueberries
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- a bit of soy milk to make icing… 2-3 Tbsp?
- dash of cinnamon, and nutmeg might be nice as well…
- Vegetarian sausage patties
- Preheat oven for sausage patties and heat according to directions on package. Or nuke them. Whatever floats yer boat…
- Heat up a small saucepan and melt butter/margarine.
- Throw in fruits and cook until soft. Or until thawed, if you are using frozen fruits.
- Add cinnamon and whatever other spices you want to throw in.
- Add white wine and reduce.
- Add brown sugar and stir.
- Put powdered sugar into small bowl. Slowly add tiny amounts of milk, and whisk until it’s the consistency of thin icing.
- Put them into a toaster and wait for them to pop up.
- Stack 2 waffles on plate per person. Add sauteed fruit mixture, and drizzle with icing. Serve with sausages.
Icing is yummy on sausages too!
If there is one thing that I do rather well, it’s CHILI! I love to make beef chili, turkey chili, venison chili, and the other night, I made vegetarian chili! (This is the kind with TVP as a sort of meat substitute. If you are copying this recipe, you can sub black beans instead. But I’m sorta diggin’ the TVP…)
Ingredients for TVP Chili:
You will need:
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein) granules
- +/- 1 cup boiling water, to reconstitute TVP
- 1 can chopped/diced/stewed/whatever tomatoes
- 1/2 can corn, drained (Use the other half for the cornbread below.)
- 1 can tomato sauce or tomato paste
- 1/2 bottle of beer
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 cups frozen mixed veggies (optional)
- chili seasoning of your choice, in the amount of your choice. I used 3 Tbsp of a really nifty chili seasoning that I got in Terlingua.
- 1 can kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- whatever secret ingredients you use for your chili. I have mine, and no, I’m not sharing.
ABOUT 10-20 MINUTES BEFORE MAKING CHILI:
- Add boiling water to TVP and let it sit there and reconstitute for 10-20 minutes. Add some tamari or worchestershire sauce for flavor if you want.
TVP and H2O
ON WITH THE SHOW:
- Get out your favorite chili-making pot/pan, and fire that sucker up!
- Add olive oil, and saute onions and garlic until clear.
- Add veggies, tomatoes, and beans, and warm through.
Pretty, isn't it?
- Add tomato sauce/paste, and TVP
TVP in chili...
- Add THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT:
(Add 1/2 of the bottle. The rest is for the cook!)
- Add the chili seasoning and the rest of your secret ingredients and warm though…
- 1 box Jiffy or Martha White cornbread or corn muffin mix.
- 1 small can of evaporated milk.
- 1/2 can whole kernel corn, drained (split with chili recipe above)
- 1/2 small onion, diced and sauteed
- 1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar or mexi-mix cheese
- 1 aig
- Preheat your oven according to cornbread package directions.
- For the onion, an easier way to go would be to saute the whole onion from the chili recipe above first, and then take out about 1/3 of it for the cornbread.
- Put onion and corn in mixing bowl.
- Basically, you will be following the directions on the package of cornbread, but adding other ingredients and substituting the evaporated milk for the regular milk called for on the package.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Pour into 8×8 square pan, or cake pan, and bake according to package directions.
- …And after!